Cocoknits founder Julie Weisenberger had long wanted a tiny needle gauge tool for travel-knitting. "The big squares or rectangles are okay for at-home knitting, but clumsy for travel - so I fashioned one based on those a jeweler would use to size diamonds." The result is a joyous rainbow stack of connected discs for identifying knitting needle sizes US 0-15 / 2-10mm, with a different sized hole on each disc.
The discs swivel out and click back together with tiny magnets (which makes it as much fun to play with as use) and the whole rainbow tool is small enough to pop into the Cocoknits Accessory Roll or a coin-purse-sized notions pouch so you'll never leave home without it.
And because Cocoknits is committed to avoiding plastic wherever possible, they manufactured it from PLA, a 100% biodegradable, plant-based plastic substitute! Click here to watch it completely dissolve into starch after 3 weeks in a bowl of water (click on the arrow on the right of the image to see the time-lapse).
- Each disc is imprinted in both US and mm needle sizes from US 0-15 / 2-10mm
- Overall size (closed) is approximately 1" diameter X 1.5" high (2.5cm X 4cm)
- Discs are in an array of rainbow colors created to bring joy to your day and a smile to your face!
- The discs are made from 100% fiber waste called polylactic acid, which is made from fermented plant starch such as corn, beets or sugar cane. It is 100% biodegradable and contains no plastic.
- The discs are arranged in ROYGBV order but the beginning disc color is random and varies for each Needle Gauge (see photo of 3 different Needle Gauges above).
How to Use: Swivel out the disc to access the hole and insert your needle. The smallest hole that your needle fits into is your needle size. If the needle is unable to be inserted, select the next size up, or if there is excess space, try the next size down.
Care: If your Needle Gauge accidentally gets wet, dry it off, then fan out the discs so they don’t become stuck together as they dry. If this happens, you should be able to force them apart again, but best to let them dry separately if possible. Extremely humid conditions can affect the material. To return it to it's pre-humid state, keep it in a temperate, drier area for 24-48 hours and allow it to acclimate with discs fanned out.
- Notion Type:
- Needle Gauges